Discover a few of the incredible biodiversity hotspots in the high seas that deserve priority protection and could become the first generation of high seas MPAs under a new UN High Seas Treaty.
Emperor Seamounts – English
HSA has developed concise briefings on key BBNJ Treaty issues for negotiators and decision-makers:
Area-based Management Tools and Marine Protected Areas
- AMBT/MPA Brief #1: Process for the establishment of MPAs under the BBNJ Treaty
- ABMTs/MPA Brief #2: How do MPAs and other ABMTs differ?
Environmental Impact Assessments
- EIA Briefing #1: When should an Environmental Impact Assessment be conducted?
- EIA Briefing #2: How should Environmental Impact Assessments be conducted?
- EIA Briefing #3: Who should review EIAs and decide whether a proposed activity may proceed?
- Cross-cutting Briefing #1: Entry into Force Provisions in the BBNJ Agreement
- Cross-cutting Briefing #2: Effective Implementation and Compliance under the BBNJ Agreement through an Implementation and Compliance Committee